Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Religious Pyramid

It hides within us all: the shimmering image of a saintly figure, one of moral perfection, one who lives and breaths and speaks only the most perfect holy purity. Juxtaposed, we imagine the atheist anarchist; he is leather jacket-clad, tattooed, and by no means modestly pierced. He hasn't a care for morality, nor the poor children whimpering away their hunger at the foster home down his street.

Hazarding an assumption here, I blame you not for holding this stereotype. It has been ingrained into your mind since birth, and by no accident either.

This stereotype of disposition - that religious people tend to be more altruistic than other people - festoons a poisonous fallacy that begets a broader, more unfortunate reality. In the daring words of Christopher Hitchens, "religion poisons everything."

7 comments:

  1. Big stuff. I like the images you create in your intro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing empirical data on the matter. Great topic:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wondered about this myth. My friends and I back home have been in many heated debates surrounding this topic. I for one think that altruism is independent of religion in that religion does not cause altruism. I feel like the two could be correlated on an individual basis, but for the masses there is too much variability to say the two are directly related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to note that while I would agree that it doesn't require religious motivation to be altruistic, I don't agree that it inhibits it either. Does Mr. Hitchins's belief that religion poisons everything apply to altruism? While i would say that "no, religion doesn't make someone more altruistic" I wouldn't say "yes, religion makes someone less altruistic." I suppose I'm just warning against attacking this myth so strongly that you create a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joe! Fortunately, I refrained from using Christopher Hitchens as a source. I included him in my "read this not that" under non-recommended sources. But yes, if I were to believe Mr. Hitchens then religion would indeed inhibit altruism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your presentation; I never known anything about the topic. I have two questions. Who song that song you were playing when you first presented your topic in class? And why did you pick this topic?

    ReplyDelete